Reports to: H.E. Commissioner for Agriculture, Rural Development, Blue Economy, and Sustainable Environment (ARBE)
Department: Sustainable Environment & Blue Economy
Number of Direct Reports: 5
Number of Indirect Reports: 19
Job Grade: D1
Purpose of Job
- To provide strategic direction and leadership in managing the operations of the Sustainable Environment and Blue Economy Department in order to achieve the AU strategic objectives and goals.
- Develops and executes the overall strategy for the Department and ensures alignment with overall organizational strategy;
- Manages and supervises employees within the Department, ensures the timely delivery of the directorate’s goals and effective staff performance evaluation;
- Drives the implementation and monitoring of policies, strategies, and programs to contribute to the effective implementation of relevant AU Policy Organs Decisions;
- Ensures the delivery of the Department’s annual targets in line with the organization’s overall goals and maintains robust departmental monitoring and evaluation systems;
- Provides technical leadership and ensures efficient functioning of all Divisions within the Department;
- Manages the work of the Department and supervises direct reports to ensure their effective performance in line with the organization’s performance management policy and system;
- Leads the Department and ensures effective management of personnel, budget, performance, program quality, employee relations matters, and training in conformity with relevant rules, policies, and procedures;
- Builds and maintains good working relations and collaboration with other Directorates/Departments;
- Develops and maintains regular working relations with senior stakeholders in Member State and partner institution;
- Coordinates meetings between the organization and relevant partners;
- Ensures the preparation of periodic financial and budget execution reports and other reports;
- Ensures the effective management of funds contributed to the organization, attributed to the Department;
- Implements and maintains thematic partnerships in support of the mandate of the Department;
- Develops and oversees policy development and guidelines in line with the organization’s legal framework;
- Designs policies consistent with the AU’s strategic goals and mandate in order to address the pertinent issues in the relevant area;
- Prepares and oversees integrated programs, projects, and overall activities of the organization.
- Maintains a positive work environment that facilitates collaboration and information sharing and is conducive to attracting, retaining, and motivating diverse talent.
- Develops and maintains standard operating procedures (SOP’s) for the Department.
- Manages risks, develops mitigation measures, and ensures business continuity of the Department.
- Maintains a positive work environment that facilitates collaboration and information sharing and is conducive to attracting, retaining, and motivating diverse talent..
- Initiates and manages the development of policies, strategies and programs that contribute to the goals of DARBE consistent with AUC vision and mandates.
- Liaises /Coordinates with the UN, RECs/RMs and other international organization on matters related to Sustainable Environment and Blue Economy in Africa;
- Oversees and ensures effective execution of activities of the AU Agenda 2063 Flagship projects in the field of sustainable environment and blue economy, ensuring complementarity and synergy with AUDA-NEPAD, Regional Economic Communities and other continental institutions;
- Oversees and coordinates the work of the divisions of Sustainable Environment and Blue Economy
- Maintains liaison with other Departments of the AUC as well as AUDA-NEPAD, RECs and other relevant stakeholders to identify and promote synergies across initiatives and to ensure a coordinated development and implementation of such initiatives.
- Initiates and strengthens forums for stakeholders’ consultations, lesson and experiences sharing as well as capacity strengthening.
- Prepares periodic reports on the implementation of the Department’s programs and operations.
- Provides strategic advice and support to the Commissioner for Agriculture, Rural Development, Blue Economy and Sustainable Environment in preparing statements, proposals, briefs, reports and other relevant tasks
- Any other related assignments as may be assigned by the supervisor.
Academic Requirements and Relevant Experience
- Master’s Degree in Sustainable Development, Environmental Management, Natural Resource Management, Ocean Governance, Marine Biology, Fisheries Management, Oceanography or related fields with a minimum of 15 years experience with 8 years at managerial level and 5 years at supervisory level.
- A PhD in a relevant field and membership of relevant professional bodies are an added advantage.
- Relevant national, regional and international experience in a sustainable environment and blue economy or relevant sub-sectors is required.
- Leadership and managerial skills
- Interpersonal and negotiation skills
- Communication, report writing, and presentation skills
- Ability to use Microsoft office suite
- Knowledge and working understanding of AU policies, strategies, and programmes.
- Research and analytical skills
- Proficiency in one of the AU working languages (Arabic, English, French, Portuguese, and Spanish) and fluency in another AU language is an added advantage.
- Strategic Perspective
- Developing Others
- Driving Change
- Managing Risk
- Building Relationships
- Learning Orientation
- Communicating with impact
- Conceptual Thinking and Problem Solving
- Job Knowledge
- Drive for Results
- Innovation and taking initiative.
Tenure of Appointment
- The appointment will be made on a regular term contract for a period of three (3) years, of which the first twelve months shall be considered as a probationary period.
- Thereafter, the contract will be for a period of two years renewable, subject to satisfactory performance and deliverables.
Indicative basic salary of US$ 78,138.00 (D1 Step1) per annum plus other related entitlements e.g. Post adjustment (46% of basic salary), Housing allowance US$ 26,208.00 (per annum), and education allowance (100% of tuition and other education-related expenses for every eligible dependent up to a maximum of US$ 10,000.00 per child per annum), for internationally recruited staff and a maximum of $3,300 per child per annum for locally recruited staff.