Requisition ID: 255
Location: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Organization: African Union Commission – AUC
Reports to: Deputy Chairperson
Department: Sustainable Environment & Blue Economy
Number of Direct Reports: 5
Number of Indirect Reports: 73
Job Grade: D1
Purpose of Job
- To provide strategic direction and leadership in managing the operations of the Finance Directorate in order to achieve the AU strategic objectives and goals.
- Develops and executes the overall strategy for the Directorate and ensures alignment with the overall organizational strategy.
- Manages and supervises employees within the directorate, ensures the timely delivery of the directorate’s goals and effective staff performance evaluation.
- Drives the implementation and monitoring of policies, strategies and programs to contribute to the effective implementation of relevant AU Policy Organs Decisions.
- Ensures the delivery of the directorate’s annual targets in line with the organization’s overall goals and maintains robust departmental monitoring and evaluation systems.
- Provides technical leadership and ensures efficient functioning of all Divisions within the Directorate
- Manages the work of the Directorate and supervises direct reports to ensure their effective performance in line with the organization’s performance management policy and system.
- Leads the Directorate and ensures effective management of personnel, budget, performance, program quality, employee relations matters and training in conformity with relevant rules, policies and procedures.
- Builds and maintains good working relations and collaboration with other directorates/departments.
- Develops and maintains regular working relations with senior stakeholders in Member State and the partner institution.
- Coordinates meetings between the organization and relevant partners;
- Ensures the preparation of periodic financial and budget execution reports and other reports
- Ensures the effective management of funds contributed to the organization;
- Implements and maintains thematic partnerships in support of the mandate of the Directorate.
- Develops and oversees policy development and guidelines in line with the organizations a legal framework
- Designs policies consistent with the AU’s strategic goals and mandate in order to address the pertinent issues in the relevant area
- Prepares and oversees integrated programs, projects and overall activities of the organization.
- Maintains a positive work environment that facilitates collaboration and information sharing and is conducive to attracting, retaining, and motivating diverse talent.
- Develops and maintains standard operating procedures (SOP&s) for the Directorate.
- Manages risks develops mitigation measures and ensures business continuity of the Directorate.
- Develops and implements effective, responsive and efficient financial and budgetary strategies, policies and management systems, as per the international accounting standards
- Plans develop and implement Financial Accounting policies and policy to execute budgetary programmes, Rules, Regulations and Procedures.
- Collects and manages statutory and other funds contributed to the African Union.
- Ensures inter-departmental coordination in programming and the budgetary process.
- Assess the efficiency and effectiveness of programmes in realizing organizational goals and objectives.
- Promotes sound financial management by ensuring adherence and compliance with International Public Sector accounting standards (IPSAS), the AU Financial Rules and Regulations, Policies, Systems and Procedures;
- Seeks continuous improvement and cost-effectiveness in the delivery of services.
- Provides accurate, reliable and timely accounts of the Union and professional and strategic advice to the Member States and internal stakeholders
- Advises the Deputy Chairperson on policy and strategy matters and assists in developing financial management policies, programming guidelines, accounting system, budgeting guidelines and assets safeguard systems
- Prepares the programme budget of the Commission and follows up its implementation
- Organizes coordination meetings on programming and budgeting
- Initiates manage and implement financial policies
- Promotes awareness of best practices in financial management and internal financial control systems
- Controls budget execution and process payments
- Invests excess liquidity as authorized
- Facilitates the conduct of the external audit
- Ensures effective implementation of Financial Rules and Regulations;
- Ensures safe custody of all liquid Assets of the Union
- Ensures prompt recovery of all receivables owed to the Union
- Produces periodic financial and budget execution reports and annual financial statements and other specific mission reports, in accordance with Financial Rules and Regulations;
- Develops, maintains financial and accounting rules and procedures;
- Performs any other relevant duties as may be assigned by the supervisor.
Academic Requirements and Relevant Experience
- A Master’s Degree in Accounting, Finance or related field with fifteen (15) years of relevant work experience in Accounting, Finance, Auditing or Financial
- Management out of which eight (8) years at managerial level and five (5) years at supervisory level.
- Membership of an internationally recognized professional accounting body (CA, CPA, ACCA, CIMA, Expert Comptable)is mandatory.
- Relevant specialist professional qualifications are an added advantage.
- Knowledge of International Public Sector Accounting Standards (IPSAS)
- Ability to develop multi-annual plans and budgets based on Result Based Management
- Communication and reporting skills with internal and external stakeholders;
- Computer literacy – knowledge of major accounting systems especially SAP – ERP shall be an advantage
- Interpersonal skills and ability to organize and motivate others and to work in a multi-cultural environment.
- Drafting and reporting skills
- Planning and organizational skills.
- Proficiency in one of the AU working languages (Arabic, English, French, Portuguese, and Spanish) and fluency in another AU language is an added advantage.
- Strategic Perspective
- Developing Others
- Driving Change
- Managing Risk
- Building Relationships
- Learning Orientation
- Communicating with impact
- Conceptual Thinking and Problem Solving
- Job Knowledge
- Drive for Results
- Innovation and taking initiative
Tenure of Appointment
- The appointment will be made on a regular term contract for a period of three (3) years, of which the first twelve months shall be considered as a probationary period. Thereafter, the contract will be for a period of two years renewable, subject to satisfactory performance and deliverables.
- Indicative basic salary of US$ 78, 138.00 (D1 Step1) per annum plus other related entitlements e.g. Post adjustment (46% of basic salary), Housing allowance US$ 26,208.00 (per annum), and education allowance (100% of tuition and other education-related expenses for every eligible dependent up to a maximum of US$ 10,000.00 per child per annum), for internationally recruited staff and a maximum of $3,300 per child per annum for locally recruited staff.
Interested and qualified candidates should:Click here to apply