Requisition ID: 251
Organization: African Union Commission – AUC
Reports to: Commissioner Infrastructure & Energy
Department: Infrastructure & Energy
Number of Direct Reports: 6
Number of Indirect Reports: 22
Job Grade: D1
Purpose of Job
- To provide strategic direction and leadership in managing the operations of the Infrastructure and Energy Department in order to achieve the AU strategic objectives and goals.
- Develops and executes the overall strategy for the Department and ensures alignment with overall organizational strategy;
- Manages and supervises employees within the Department, ensures the timely delivery of the Department’s goals and effective staff performance evaluation;
- Drives the implementation and monitoring of policies, strategies and programs to contribute to the effective implementation of relevant AU Policy Organs Decisions;
- Ensures the delivery of the Department’s annual targets in line with the organization’s overall goals and maintains robust departmental monitoring and evaluation systems;
- Provides technical leadership and ensures efficient functioning of all Divisions within the Department;
- Manages the work of the Department and supervises direct reports to ensure their effective performance in line with the organization’s performance management policy and system;
- Leads the Department and ensures effective management of personnel, budget, performance, program quality, employee relations matters and training in conformity with relevant rules, policies and procedures;
- Builds and maintains good working relations and collaboration with other Directorates/Departments;
- Develops and maintains regular working relations with senior stakeholders in Member State and partner institution;
- Coordinates meetings between the organization and relevant partners;
- Ensures the preparation of periodic financial and budget execution reports and other reports;
- Ensures the effective management of funds contributed to the organization, attributed to the Department;
- Implements and Maintains thematic partnerships in support of the mandate of the Department;
- Develops and oversees policy development and guidelines in line with the organization’s legal framework;
- Designs policies consistent with the AU’s strategic goals and mandate in order to address the pertinent issues in the relevant area;
- Prepares and oversees integrated programs, projects and overall activities of the organization.
- Maintains a positive work environment that facilitates collaboration and information sharing and is conducive to attracting, retaining, and motivating diverse talent.
- Develops and maintains standard operating procedures (SOP’s) for the Department
- Manages risks, develops mitigation measures and ensures business continuity of the Department.
- Advises the Commissioner on policy and strategy matters and assist in developing and supervising work programs and in developing partnership relations; .
- Prepares and implements plans of action and programs of activities of the Department;
- Provides technical guidance and ensure efficient functioning of supervised Divisions and specialized technical committees and sub-committees on transport, communications, tourism and energy sectors;
- Organizes, coordinate and ensure the implementation of plans of action and programs and activities of the Department;
- Builds good working relations with other Departments/Directorates/Offices of the Commission and the African Commission on Energy;
- Develops and maintains appropriate working relations with partners of the African Union, in the field of transport, communication, tourism and energy;
- Promotes best practices and appropriate working systems;
- Exercises overall management of the Department: personnel, budget, performance, quality, discipline and training in conformity with relevant rules and procedures in force;
- Produces and submits periodic reports of activities and specific missions;
- Coordinates the elaboration of policies related to Energy, transport and ICT sectors
- Oversees the implementation of 4 flagship projects under the mandate of the Department (INGA project, PAEN, SAATM, HST)
- Actively participates in resource mobilisation related to sectors under IED responsibility
- Represents AUC in international discussion related to sectors under IED responsibility and ensure that AU interest are well taken
- Oversees the harmonisation of all sectorial policies with RECs
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned.
Academic Requirements and Relevant Experience
- A Master’s Degree in Energy, Transport, ICT or in a related field, with fifteen (15) years of relevant work experience out of which 8 years are at managerial level and 5 at supervisory level.
- Ability to use strong managerial delegation, political tact and supervisory skills to achieve documented objectives
- Ability to work effectively with people from various backgrounds and create an environment where diversity is respected
- Ability to collaborate and communicate effectively with top-level stakeholders
- Ability to identify key strategic opportunities and risks
- Ability to actively seek, identify and apply appropriate technology to improve programme delivery
- Ability to delegate the appropriate responsibility, accountability and decision-making authority with regard to performance management and professional development
- Proficiency in one of the AU working languages (Arabic, English, French, Portuguese and Spanish) and fluency in another AU language(s) is an added advantage.
- Strategic Perspective
- Developing Others
- Driving Change
- Managing Risk
- Building Relationships
- Learning Orientation
- Communicating with impact
- Conceptual Thinking and Problem Solving
- Job Knowledge
- Drive for Results
- Innovation and taking initiative
Tenure of Appointment
- The appointment will be made on a regular term contract for a period of three (3) years, of which the first twelve months shall be considered as a probationary period. Thereafter, the contract will be for a period of two years renewable, subject to satisfactory performance and deliverables.
Indicative basic salary of US$ 78, 138.00 (D1 Step1) per annum plus other related entitlements e.g. Post adjustment (46% of basic salary), Housing allowance US$ 26,208.00 (per annum), and education allowance (100% of tuition and other education-related expenses for every eligible dependent up to a maximum of US$ 10,000.00 per child per annum), for internationally recruited staff and a maximum of $3,300 per child per annum for locally recruited staff.