Career Level Manager
Experience 10 Year
Position Level: Director Level II
USAID’s Kenya Investment Mechanism (KIM)
KIM is a USAID funded project that is designed to unlock $400 million in investment for key sectors of Kenya’s economy, including agriculture; horticulture, dairy, and livestock (supported by Feed the Future), energy (supported by Power Africa), regional trade and investment opportunities (supported by the Prosper Africa initiative), women-owned businesses as well as in the WASH, health, and infrastructure sectors. KIM addresses constraints on both the supply and demand sides of investment transactions and is building a market system that will mobilize substantial capital from the public and private sectors. By building local partnerships among stakeholders in the financial system, KIM is stimulating the power of the private sector to accelerate Kenya’s journey to self-reliance.
KIM addresses two principal market failures that have discouraged investors from financing important segments of the targeted sectors: (i) insufficient quality consulting services (financial, transaction advisory, strategy, and business performance); and (ii) limited scalability of financial products tailored to selected key sectors of the economy in the region. KIM provides capacity building support to both business advisory service providers (BASPs) and Financial Institutions (FIs). KIM uses smart incentives to mobilize finance for development in the targeted sectors. These incentives are designed to create a sustainable ecosystem for businesses to access finance and investments needed to expand and grow. Business transactions are further supported by a diverse range of sustainable partnerships–with and among strategic businesses, institutions, government counterparts (county and national) and other development partners. These partnerships will lead to scaling and replicating creative approaches to unlock finance and investments, reduce risks of extending credit to the agriculture and energy sectors, and offer testing of innovative business models that can be scaled.
The Palladium Group
Palladium is the implementing organization behind KIM. As a global leader in the design, development, and delivery of Positive Impact, Palladium creates enduring social and economic value. We work with foundations, investors, governments, corporations, communities and civil society to formulate strategies and implement solutions that generate lasting social, environmental and financial benefits.
For the past 50 years, we have been making Positive Impact possible. With a team of more than 2,500 employees operating in 90 plus countries and a global network of more than 35,000 technical experts, Palladium has improved – and is committed to continuing to improve – economies, societies and most importantly, people’s lives.
The Business Advisory Service Providers Director will lead the opportunities team, including all demand-side efforts to incentive the Kenyan financial sector to significantly expand financing and investment. The director will be in charge of overseeing Business Advisory Service Providers contracted under KIM to package investment opportunities for financing and achieve deal closure.
• Provide overall leadership and strategic direction to the opportunities team
• Supervise 40 plus Business Advisory Service Providers to identify and close transactions in key strategic sectors
• Coordinate capacity building initiatives for the BASPs to enhance their long term sustainability in the market
• Working closely with the finance and investment team identify and refer investment opportunities for financing to financial institutions and investors
• Organize networking events that will provide useful opportunities for the demand side team to enhance deal closure opportunities
• Contribute to learning and expanding knowledge on project activities
• Lead advisory services and expertise to clients and customers and valuable services through the design of best practices, decision support, problem resolution and resource optimization
• Drive the business process by interacting with enterprises and service providers to validate in and out of scope requirements and assist with proposing service solutions
• Accelerate backlog by proactively managing delivery schedules and resource alignment
• Respond to and handle any service quality issues or engagement critical issues
• Supervise subcontractors involved with facilitating training and technical assistance to the business advisory service providers to enable expanded finance and investment to target sectors
• Closely monitor deal closure and management, ensuring compliance with both financial and social impact requirements.
• Effectively manage team members to achieve results as laid out in annual work plans
• Support media activities as required (e.g. conduct interviews, write articles, speak at public events, etc.)
• Travel as necessary within Kenya to support monitoring and closure of deals
• Other duties as deemed necessary.
• Master’s Degree in Finance or Banking or Investment .
• At least 10 years’ experience in banking services & consultancy with a consulting firm in developing countries. Experience in the Kenyan financial sector is preferred.
• Experience managing multiple contractors to achieve results
• Experience with the investment deal cycle from pre-feasibility to deal-closure
• Experience managing and leading teams of 10 or more in a consulting service environment
• Expertise in standard business practices as related to banking business and operations
• Experience in full cycle service delivery and consulting services in the banking industry.
• Demonstrated soft skills: critical thinking, problem solving, analytical thinking, detail-oriented, negotiation, and communication skills.
• Proven experience developing and finalizing high quality deliverables.
• Excellent verbal, written, presentation communication skills.
• Demonstrated ability to think and plan strategically
• Kenyan professionals preferred.
Please note that this position is contingent on USAID approval.